Galleria Tamar Golan is dedicated to promoting appreciation for Angolan local art through holding contemporary artwork exhibitions of local artists and accompanying educational programs for children and youth.
Recently obtaining the title of third largest economy in sub–Saharan Africa, oil-rich Angola boasts a very young and dynamic art scene. Following decades of civil war until 2002, the Angolan government prioritized strengthening the country’s arts and culture ecosystem, recognizing their importance as a nation-building tool.
Through a wide range of artistic practices and actions, contemporary art in Angola reflects bridges between present reality and future hope, and thus has been recognized as a powerful and useful tool for leading social change. While bringing communities together through a collective space, artistic activity promotes a cohesive national identity and sense of belonging, boosts national pride and inspires hope for a better future.
The challenging reality of life in Angola makes it difficult for local emerging artists to express their creative skills, gain visibility and develop professionally. Ongoing economic hardship prevents many of them from indulging in the mindset required to create, limiting their access to facilities, materials and tools.
Furthermore, the difficulty of breaking into the local art scene, displaying artworks for sale, and gaining the attention of local and international art lovers and experts are also among the probable causes of young artists in Angola struggling to pursue a career in the field.
The Tamar Golan Gallery was established in Luanda to promote Angola’s local art scene. The gallery provides artists of outstanding talent and creativity with an opportunity to display their artwork and achieve recognition in a supportive, professional environment. The gallery is a multidisciplinary space for exhibitions, especially collections of paintings or sculptures. As an integral part of the Fundação Arte e Cultura, Menomadin Foundation’s subsidiary in Angola, the gallery offers emerging and well-known artists marketing, publicity and exhibition support, including festive opening nights.
In the inspiring Fundação environment, the foundation management accompanies the artists throughout the exhibition process, providing a prominent platform for career development and international recognition. As a socially conscious initiative, the Tamar Golan charges artists 20% less on exhibition revenue than competing galleries. About 70% of the revenues are paid directly to the artist while the remaining 30% enable the gallery to hold pro-bono exhibitions for promising, under-resourced artists.
In addition to its role as a springboard for artists, the gallery took on a unique educational role in the community, offering school children enjoyable creative workshops where they can learn about art, meet with artists, and familiarize themselves with their culture and heritage.
Today, the Tamar Golan Gallery is one of the most popular cultural centers in the city of Luanda. The gallery is named after the late Dr. Tamar Golan, Israel’s first ambassador to Angola, to commemorate her love for Angola, its people and local art.